The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently bought a 2005 Town and Country Limited. The van has the RB1 navigation radio, the 6 disc DVD changer, the DVD monitor on the ceiling in the back, and 2 wireless headphones.

The Problem:

When a DVD is playing, I push the headphone button on the remote control, the headphone icon displays on the RB1 but nothing comes over the headphones.

The headphones have new batteries, the power light comes on and the volume knob on the headphones is turned up.

It appears to me that the headphones are infrared. There is a small dark plastic dome in front of the DVD monitor on the ceiling which is where I believe the infrared signal is transmitted from.

1st Question:

Is there a way to test or see if there is an infrared signal being transmitted from the RB1 system?

I know when you use a digital camera and look at the end of remote control when it is transmitting a code you can see the IR light come on and off when you let the button go. Does that work the same when infrared is being used to send sound?

2nd Question:

For those that have an RB1 with wireless headphones. I read somewhere that when you're watching a DVD and turn the radio on the rear speakers in the van are supposed to turn off so that the kids using the headphones can still hear the DVD while the speakers in the front play the radio station. Does that happen for you? All my speakers will play the radio station while the DVD is still showing on the monitor (that's with the headphones icon showing on the RB1 screen).

Looking for suggestions on where to start troubleshooting. At the rear screen where the IR is transmitted or at the back of the RB1 or the DVD player.

Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have you tested the headphones in the first row or 2nd row? They will not work in the first row (at least ours do not).

We bought new batteries and could not figure out why the headphones would not work and one day my wife was riding in the 2nd row and we figured it out.

On our van all the speakers work in headphone mode so I fade the radio to the front.

·
Registered
363 Posts
On my '04, the headphones are not infrared but 700 mhz. It is a factory system with the RB1. Therefore, the headphones do not need to be in sight of anything. As far as the audio goes, while a movie is being watched using the headphones, the radio or even Sirius can be played through all of the speakers. There is no way of playing the movie through a portion of speakers and the radio through another portion. As the poster above points out, you can fade the radio to the front. I seem to remember that the little red led on the headphones goes green when it is receiving the proper signal. Maybe they went to infrared in '05 though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sixstring, I assume this is all factory the screen and headphones? Maybe you can send pix? Do the headphones have a scan button? If they do, they are probably the 900 mHz headphones. If they do have just power and volume, the other possibility is someone may have installed the RF screen and or wire harness of an RF system. I have an 05 with the RB1 and the IR Changer. When I added the screen, I had to make sure I knew what system I had. When I pulled the DVD changer, it has a pin/plug diagram on top and it clearly said one of the pins was for IR. So based on this, I ordered the IR screen and IR harness.

You are correct about the dome on the screen being for the IR. We just need to know if the DVD changer is IR. As for question#2, My Pacifica was supposed to mute the rear speakers as well but is never did. My manual claimed it had this function but it never worked. I don't think my Van does either but I will check. Also.. as stated for IR you have to be in the second or 3rd row, not the driver or front passenger. I know this sounds dumb, but I tried to test it this way once in my Pacifica since I wanted to be able to touch buttons on the radio and it did not work. IR signal needs to be in line of sight with that dark red strip on the screen.

Here is a link to the pinout om my 05 6 disc changer. Pin#3 is "IR transmit enable" I am not sure what is says when its the RF. Might just be blank on Pin 3. MAKE SURE TO VIEW FULL SCREEN

http://picasaweb.google.com/mrfixit454/My2005Info?authkey=Gv1sRgCIXNh_TVn_m_HQ&feat=directlink

Also you will see the P/N of my changer there for comparisons. My factory headphones are made by Koss. Here is the info on them

P/N 05064037AA
S/N 005 04B0918
V/C 28046R
Manufacturer KOSS (pwr on/off and volume only)

I don't know why Chrysler used 2 different systems but it plays havoc on all of us. The other problem is sometimes the DVD changer goes out and people try to get replacements on Ebay. This could be your problem.. Your original might be all IR components and the changer went dead, someone bought one off of ebay and it was the RF one. Until you pull the changer and tell us what you have, we won't know.

Fixit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys.

Yes I have been sitting in the back when testing the headphones so that line of sight shouldn't come into play.

Everything that is in the van appears to be from the factory. We are the second owners. I pulled the DVD player and it has the same part number as mrfixit454. The number 3 pin of the 12 pin connector says Enable IR Transmitter (or something close to that) on the diagram.

Pics at http://www.kevinandjessica.com/towncountry/

I also pulled the LCD from the ceiling. The IR transmitter is there and everything appears to be hooked up.

All the wires from the harnesses that hookup to the RB1 and DVD appear to be in decent shape and appear to be from the factory (no splices or rig jobs).

I can't find a manufacturer on either set of headphones but they are definitely IR headphones.

How does the IR signal get to the LCD screen. From the DVD straight to the LCD or does it go from DVD to RB1 to LCD? I suppose through the RB1 since that is where the headphone icon has to be on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
All looks good from your pix. The headphones look exactly like mine. the 900 ones look different. I think everything comes from the screen and player.. I think the player just tells the radio ot show the icon and allow other sources to come out of the speakers but I could be wrong. So you see a red light on the side of the headphones when on? Both sets don't work?

Do you know anyone with the same van or any other Chrysler that uses IR headphones. This would tell you if the headphones are working. If you want to give me a call so we can discuss this, PM me.

Also.. found this online about IR
To narrow down the problem, use an IR detector to determine if the remote is emitting an IR signal when each button is pressed. While this does not guarantee that the signal is correct, it eliminates most common problems from consideration. An IR detector card or an IR detector circuit like one of those described in the section: IR Detector and Related Circuits are very handy for testing remote controls and other IR emitters. Some camcorders, video cameras, digital cameras, security cameras, Web cams, and even cell phone cams are sensitive to IR as well and will show a bright spot of light if aimed at a working source of IR. However, since many of these have an IR-blocking filter, a negative response is not definitive unless you confirm that the camera responds to a known working remote. And, PCs and PDAs with IR links and suitable software (e.g., OmniRemote for the Palm III) may be useful for remote testing. See the section: Some Alternative 'Quick and Dirty' Remote Testers for additional options.

ON EDIT oops.. just read your original post.... about power lights and IR so the above maybe not be usefull. I would say find somewhere to test the headphones.. maybe on a dealer lot if you can;t find anyone else with a similar system.

Fixit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a chance could you try using a digital camera to check and see if your IR transmitter at the LCD screen shows light when it is transmitting.

I found that using a digital camera view finder (or a cell phone camera) will show when the IR is transmitting (see links below for examples).

I've done this on the remote control and I can see when the remote is transmitting. I have tried it with the IR transmitter at the LCD and nothing is visible. Perhaps this is apples and oranges but if you are able to see when the IR at the LCD is transmitting that would tell me my problem isn't the head phones but either the transmitter or something between the transmitter and DVD.

Thanks for the help.

http://www.brooks-bilson.com/blogs/rob/index.cfm/2006/8/23/How-To-Test-a-Dead-Remote-Control

http://www.showmewithvideo.com/v/301,test-your-infrared-remote-using-a-camera-phone.html

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ok.. I'll check tonight when I get home. Problem is if we can determine that yours has no output.. then the problem becomes which component is it.

BTW.. it appears all your equipment is original but did you check that there was wire(s) in pin 3 of the DVD harness at the changer?

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! Now I know there is nothing being transmitted to the headphones. Yes there is a wire for the #3 pin on the back of the DVD.

I suppose I will have to start checking for opens between the DVD and LCD IR transmitter. Which brings me back to wondering if the IR signal goes through the RB1 before up to IR transmitter. Boy this could turn into a pain.....

Thanks for the help to this point though!

·
Registered
341 Posts
The IR would seem to come from the dvd changer since it is making the sound and sends the signal through the harness to screen. To bad you do not know anyone close to swap parts. Is there anything in the setp of the DVD screen? I'll check mine. I'm in Westminster CA BTW. The units (changer) are made by Mitsubishi. I have contacted them before about other questions regarding the dvd changer. They should be able to tell you where to start.

Here is some contact info.. not sure if she is still there or not

Sue Schoenberg

Sales/Marketing Assistant

Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America, Inc.

15603 Centennial Drive

Northville, MI 48167

Tel: 734-354-1307

Fax: 734-453-6211

·
Registered
341 Posts
Also.. at night, even with the interior lights on, I can see the IR LEDs dimmly lit up. Maybe you lightly tap/thump the screen or player and see if you can get them to come on? These are just thoughts. Do you see anything strange on the circuit board of the monitor? Lose connections or solder joints? Maybe since these are diodes, you can see if they care getting power? Maybe even at PIN 3 at the changer? I hate to send you volt meter probing because I am not sure if damage can be done so think about it first before you proceed.

Also.. I went into setup and checked settings but I did not see much. Only for AC-3 audio and mine had bit stream selected and level 2. I could not change to PCM (probably because of the DVD) and when I changed to level 1, it made no difference for the headphones.
Can you do me a favor and send me a pic and P/N if you can find it for your remote. I am using my remote from my VES on my Ram as well as its headphones. It all works OK but I would rather buy whats supposed to be for the van. I need to get a remote and 1 more set of headphones from ebay. I have 3 kids and 2 headphones ;) We are getting to the point where they are now old enough to use them.

Thanks
Ramon
aka MrFixit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was able to get a wiring diagram of the radio/dvd circuit. It appears the IR signal goes right from the DVD to the LCD. I suppose I'll start checking for opens between the DVD harness and the LCD harness. If the wiring is OK its either going to be the DVD or the IR transmitter.

http://www.kevinandjessica.com/towncountry/DVDDiagram.pdf

The DVD circuit is the bottom one of the PDF.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My Guess is the wiring will be ok and that it is most likely the changer. Just a guess based on how many problems people have had that I read about. This is why I ask if you know anyone in your area with the same components. You could just swap each one and see which fixes it. Maybe the folks at Mitsubishi can tell you if they have had issues w/ the IR circuits in the changer.

Have you made sure the plugs are plugged in tightly on each end? also the line coming from the RB1 to the changer?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks just what I need. Though your remote says VES at the bottom? My Ram would does (since its a VES system) but my Pacifica one did not) I think there were a few different buttons on each. Anyway, the VES one seems to control all I need it to on the van. Thanks for the link

Fixit

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks.. looks like the one we had in our 04 Pacfica. No worries.. I ordered 1 (VES) from ebay w/ 4 more headsets.. 3 for each vehicle since we have 3 kids. There seems to be an abundance of them out there now a lot cheaper than a year or so ago when I bought the 2. Maybe because Chrysler is in the toilet.

Are you making nay headway on your problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well no, my wife was not happy when she saw everything torn apart so I buttoned it back up. I will leave it for now since everything else works until our daughter is a little older and will actually want to wear the headphones.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ok.. don't let it go too long because you will forget all you learned and before you now it, your daughter will be asking for it.

Please make sure to post back when you do find the problem. I can't tell you how many threads I have come across about people trying to put factory uconnect in and they never follow up. when I get it working, I several posts to update since everyone is running into the same problem as me.

Take care

1 - 20 of 23 Posts