The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Chrysler T&C.

A few months ago I had my whole rear brake system changed (calipers, pads, rotors). There was a weird knocking sound after and I found out a brake pad clip was missing, had that fixed. But now I woke up today and found this leak from my left rear tire all over the driveway.

What happened? Also, I am planning on taking car back to the shop, is it safe to drive about 10km or should this be towed?

My brake fluid is still in between max/min.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
348 Posts
Do you have a way to get that wheel off the ground, support the vehicle after it’s jacked up and take that wheel off?

If so, you can find where the fluid seems to be coming from and take some more conclusive pictures if you can’t figure out the source of the leak.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a way to get that wheel off the ground, support the vehicle after it’s jacked up and take that wheel off?

If so, you can find where the fluid seems to be coming from and take some more conclusive pictures if you can’t figure out the source of the leak.
Since I recently had the entire brake system replace, and a month later returned to the shame shop for a 'rattle' from the brake system, I am going to get it towed to the shop for them to figure out. It sounds like its all related to them and they should fix it. I'm not going to touch it because then they can say I messed with it.

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
Is that brake fluid? water from air conditioning? spilt coffee? oil leak, coolant leak, transmission fluid leak?
Check underneath.

Reactions: jm70

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Is there splatter on the outside of the tire, like it looks? Maybe a dog took a leak.

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
371 Posts
That fluid looks pretty dirty, as in there are lots of visible impurities in it. The surrounding dry ground isn’t nearly as dirty. Could that fluid be runoff from someone hosing something down?

Check the level of all the fluids in your van. It would be logical to assume that if any fluid besides washer fluid is low, then that’s the leaking fluid. You can also use a paper towel and get a “sample” of the fluid by patting the paper towel over the fluid. The resulting color on the paper towel could be a hint as to which fluid is leaking.

My 2008 van had a similar leak on the same wheel. Turned out to be a broken brake banjo bolt. I had changed the rear calipers the night before. The next day, I saw some brake fluid all over the wheel and ground.

Take a picture from behind the wheel. You don’t have to remove the wheel or jack up the vehicle. You will need to get on the ground and take a picture of the brake caliper and hose area.

Don’t drive your van even a little. My pedal sank to the floor when the banjo bolt was broken.

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
Take a look underneath. That could be:
coolant from cracked plastic Y pipes (engine bay, driver's side)
oil from cracked oil filter housing (engine bay). Oil & filter changed lately?
transmission fluid from cooler lines (engine bay, drivers side)
condensate dripping from air conditioning (firewall, passengers side)

If it feels oily, it likely is oil.
Brake fluid and coolant aren't petroleum based.

I can't imagine that being brake fluid and your level is still good. I would think coolant if you have the plastic Ys for rear heat. If you had an oil change recently, then oil from a cracked oil filter housing.

As already mentioned, check your fluid levels.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
581 Posts
Open hood, see or mark where the brake fluid level is.

Turn the engine on, in park, pump the brake pedal very hard 20-30 times. If it is brake fluid leak, the level will go down, and the ground will get wetter- your pedal will go to the floor.

I think a dog raised the leg on your tire.

Let us know what this test shows. It is possible that you have a busted brake line/hose. (Sometimes mechanics will hang the caliper off the hose when working on brakes).

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
581 Posts
How are we supposed to know what kind of fluid that is? Lol.
Touch it, and smell it. Does it feel like oil, or smell like dog piss, or coolant? Does it evaporate in the sun (water, condensation), or take longer (brake fluid, coolant, oils)? Dab it with a white paper towel - what color is it? Lay down on the tarmac in the back with a flashlight to see if wet spots are visible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking under the car behind the wheel it looks to be dripping from the caliper. It seems to be brake fluid. I will get a picture tomorrow morning and post it. When I pulled it off the driveway to clean the spot and looked under again I saw a fresh stream down the inside of my wheel onto the ground and noticed drops forming then dripping from my brake unit.

Either way I will be getting it towed to my shop on Monday.

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
That's confirmation it's brake fluid for sure, unless there's water inside the vehicle. Likely the banjo bolt connection if they removed the caliper. Could be from the caliper actuated parking brake setup though. They have been known to leak. Use the parking brake much?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's confirmation it's brake fluid for sure, unless there's water inside the vehicle. Likely the banjo bolt connection if they removed the caliper. Could be from the caliper actuated parking brake setup though. They have been known to leak. Use the parking brake much?

I do use the parking brake often

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
That problem you had with a clip being missing is explainable. Sometimes the pads are next to impossible to get in place with both shims (clips) installed. Guess what? The Mechanic leaves a shim or two out. There will be a noise from the brakes though.

If one finds a wear indicator tab cut off, a Mechanic can do that to, to facilitate installation, on some vehicles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have jack stands or jack currently to take wheel off. but heres a pic from the inside. Brake pad and caliper soaked. Pooling and dripping can be seen from the bolt area highlighted. My calipers,rotors,pads were replaced 5 months ago.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
I expanded that picture on my touch screen computer. Banjo doesn't look to be in proper contact with the mating surface at the caliper. It's away from it noticeably, as I see it.

Somebody not liking you? :(

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Wouldn't that feel like you have basically no brakes, if the banjo weren't bolted down straight? I've popped a brake line a couple times, and it's a very noticeable thing. Wouldn't surprise me if they reused the copper washers, or didn't use them at all though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts