The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,378 Posts
UPDATE AND questions.

So I drove about a week with the ABS fuse pulled and it was just like a vehicle without ABS or traction control. Both the ABS and Brake lights were illuminated.

A friend brought me a scanner to borrow so I reinstalled the fuse, read the codes ( left rear sensor AND some valve acting up code), cleared the codes and after a short drive the left rear code (and ABS light) reappeared. This was about a week ago.

Today, I performed a tire rotation, and while I had the wheel off, I inspected the sensor and it appeared to NOT have been torn from the vehicle due to road debris. I pulled a little clip, and was able to remove the sensor tip from the wheel hub. It looked OK so I put it back in with a little spit for o-ring lubricant... That's just how I fly these days...

I didn't have the scanner so I drove about a mile and the light did not go away on its own.
** I would have unplugged / replugged the connector, but I don't know where to access it. Advice here? The wire seems to go up into the chassis... Do I unplug the rear sensor wire somewhere from inside the vehicle??

Are both the rear sensors the same? Before I blindly throw a part at it (a new sensor) I'm inclined to swap left to right to see if the fault code swaps to the other wheel... Unless y'all are highly confident that the sensor is most always the fault.

Your guidance and experience will be greatly appreciated.
Happy New year!
Wheel Sensors at RockAuto: 2002 CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY 3.8L V6 ABS Wheel Speed Sensor | RockAuto

Looks to be the same sensor for both sides rear, fronts are different. The scanner said a sensor, so I would go with that.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, it said ... the scanner doesn't talk!
The scanner screen read "Left Rear Wheel/Signal Failure" - AND - "Valve Power Feed Failure"
This was the first time, last week. That is when the ABS or traction control was first acting up. I cleared the codes and after a week of driving (it reoccurred right away) but i drove for a week and the code today was "Left Rear Wheel/Signal Failure"

OK, I will toss a part at it.
I can see from the RockAuto zoom in picture, the rubber grommet that goes into the chassis. Now I understand how to get at the connector. With the all undercoating I didn't see how to get at the connector.

Thanks JeepMan, I'll even spritz with some FluidFilm in your honor...

·
Super Moderator
24,378 Posts
Well, it said ... the scanner doesn't talk!
The scanner screen read "Left Rear Wheel/Signal Failure" - AND - "Valve Power Feed Failure"
This was the first time, last week. That is when the ABS or traction control was first acting up. I cleared the codes and after a week of driving (it reoccurred right away) but i drove for a week and the code today was "Left Rear Wheel/Signal Failure"

OK, I will toss a part at it.
I can see from the RockAuto zoom in picture, the rubber grommet that goes into the chassis. Now I understand how to get at the connector. With the all undercoating I didn't see how to get at the connector.

Thanks JeepMan, I'll even spritz with some FluidFilm in your honor...
:)
Fluid Film or wheel bearing grease. Wheel bearing grease works well in the splash zone.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
When the left rear ABS signal is repaired (hopefully by sensor replacement) will the ABS light go out by itself or will a scanner be required to reset the light.
Can the light be reset by battery disconnect or pulling a fuse to reboot a computer?

·
Super Moderator
24,378 Posts
It should go off by itself right away, the same as an intermittent ABS sensor problem does. It did on my 2007 GC (right front).

Reactions: FabricGATOR

·
fix it if you can
5,076 Posts
When the left rear ABS signal is repaired (hopefully by sensor replacement) will the ABS light go out by itself or will a scanner be required to reset the light.
Can the light be reset by battery disconnect or pulling a fuse to reboot a computer?
It should extinguish the light after it verifies sensor is operational - after yo go around the block (or when you get to the road if you have a long driveway).

BTW, the other code could have been from pulling the fuse - as long as it hasn't been back, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
History update, I was under the van to repair the spare tire retraction mechanism, and while there I did swap the left and right rear sensor. While the ABS light never did go out, later I used the scanner and found that the code showed that the fault did follow the Left Rear Sensor (the scanner showed both left and right now, but when I cleared the codes, only the opposite side (right rear) did return:))

NOS Mopar factory part (05086651AA ) on order, eBay.. $19.25
Many part numbers shown on multiple Mopar websites and while this is not the specified part that MOPAR listed, the description and picture showed that their part was not the same as I found installed. Even the connector plug appeared incorrect.

I intend to return the RH sensor to the RH side as the aged wiring has a 'set' or memory and I don't want another failure due to induced stress... Then again, every time I futz with it, I run the chance of 'installer damage'.

Reactions: atoman

·
3rd gen > all others
2,828 Posts
Maybe the other parts you saw on Mopar sites were for the AWD rear ABS brakes? The AWD rears are different than FWD, and they are different side-to-side. So that's 3 different part numbers for the rear ABS sensors for these vans altogether. Drivetrain makes the difference.

Glad you got it narrowed down to a specific part. It's so satisfying to find root cause of problems.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Final results...

R&R brake sensor p/n 1-05086651AA. Operational check- Normal
Well, at least the light went out...

Oh, and this part, while a functional substitution, it was missing some of the vulcanized mounting lug positions that my factory original had. I went off some cross reference chart that was other than 100% correct.
I am confident this will outlive the useful life of this vehicle (or outlive me...)
Cheers!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts