The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to make this short so no rest area needed.
2007 grand caravan 3.8 250,000 miles

First start of day starts as it should. Runs and drives as it should.

If you stop and its short say less than 15 min van will restart and run with no problems.

If the stop is over 15 min or so starting goes like this.
1st 5 to 10 tries engine cranks but no life.
2nd set of tries engine will crank and stumble run for 1 or 2 secs. If you tried to add gas it stops stumbling and just cranks.
3 set if tries motor cranks it catches and runs 1000 rpm or so than drops and dies.
4 tries it fires like it should and runs like it should untill turned off.

I am truely befuddled... Thanks for any help

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,797 Posts
Sounds as if something electronic is heat-soaking after engine shutdown, and is not providing its signal/output.

Aside from troubleshooting at the moment when the issue occurs, I'd bet on a crankshaft sensor? Lets see if anyone else agrees... :rolleyes:

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts
Aside from troubleshooting at the moment when the issue occurs, I'd bet on a crankshaft sensor? Lets see if anyone else agrees... :rolleyes:
If that happens at home, give the crankshaft sensor a good bath with your garden hose. If it works fine after the bath, then you found the culprit.

Fuel pump may also be the problem.

If crankshaft sensor bath fails, try priming the fuel system a few times before you try to start the engine (on- wait a couple of seconds, then off. On- wait a couple of seconds, then off. Repit a few times then crank).

Let us know how it goes..

Good luck.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,526 Posts
Sticking IAC motor? I also just remembered, these vans 2005 and later only needed either the crank or cam sensor to be good in order to run. Earlier years needed BOTH sensors to be good in order to run.

I don't think it's a fuel issue, because it starts perfectly the first start of the day. If it had a pressure leak-down, it would be hard to start and be easier after it's been running (opposite of what's happening).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea fuel issue was a first thought and i will put a gage on it. It was replaced about 3 months ago. What about the map sensor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried the multi prime before cranking and it doesnt seem to help. That crank sensor seems to be rhe chicken soup for these vans from what I've read in past posts.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,797 Posts
Oxygen Sensor– The P0171 codes is thrown when the oxygen sensor(s) do not register enough oxygen in the exhaust. When the oxygen sensor is bad, it can cause a false reading and trigger the code. The computer will still adjust the air/fuel mixture to compensate. This will cause the Caravan to run rich.
Have you pulled a spark plug to verify a rich-running engine? For it not to fire, it would look really black. (Not asking you to replace plugs, just look at a couple)

An oxygen sensor MIGHT be an issue...a cold engine runs 'open-loop' and does not rely on the O2 sensor to adjust fuel mixture. But if there is another issue, a clogged/bad sensor could be a symptom, not the root cause.

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
Any smoke when it does finally start?

Spark plugs wet? fouled? worn out? wrong type?

Air filter clear? No squirrel's nest?

EGR valve sticking open to exhaust gas on cool down?

It's sounding like a fuel issue. Air or fuel or spark are the three main ingredients for starting and running.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Go buy a bottle of starting fluid, and when it won't start, spray some into the intake. If it will start and run for a few seconds, you problem is probably fuel. Otherwise, electric, say the crank sensor.

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
Dress up like a Firefighter if you do that, just in case. 🔥 :)

With the fuel injected systems, do they still sell the ether version?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The first thing you might want to do is check fuel pressure . That imop would be the best place to start

·
Registered
14 Posts

If you stop and its short say less than 15 min van will restart and run with no problems.

2nd set of tries engine will crank and stumble run for 1 or 2 secs. If you tried to add gas it stops stumbling and just cranks.
3 set if tries motor cranks it catches and runs 1000 rpm or so than drops and dies.

Not totally sure about yours, but the early 90's mini-van 3.0's did the same thing. The 3.3 and 3.8's did not. Only the 3.0's were built by Mitsubishi. The problem was the routing of the injector fuel rail. The 3.0's were routed where they were in a "hot zone" causing the fuel to vaporize in the line when shut off.. Only by waiting for a half hour could I start the vehicle. Check it out and find a way to insulate it or by some other means to keep it cooler when the van is not running. When running, the constant flow of fuel keeps it from a vapor lock.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for so long been one of those weeks. Have pulled a plug..normal looking have check fuel pressure and readings have been within 5 +/- of normal pressure. I did find out that if the van sits for about 90 min it will restart like nothing wrong. Hot or cold weather last couple days we have been in the 20s and days before that in the 60s. So im still looking thinking its got to be a sticking egv valve?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry for so long been one of those weeks. Have pulled a plug..normal looking have check fuel pressure and readings have been within 5 +/- of normal pressure. I did find out that if the van sits for about 90 min it will restart like nothing wrong. Hot or cold weather last couple days we have been in the 20s and days before that in the 60s. So im still looking thinking its got to be a sticking egv valve?
It wouldn't be the EGR valve, but maybe a stuck IAC (Idle Control Valve). Check the fuel rail Schrader valves a couple minutes after you shut it off and see if there is liquid or vapor in the line. Be careful not to get gas on the hot engine. There should be lots of pressure

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Jeepman, two or three sprays of ether, in the intake, are not going to start a fire. Spilt oil on a hot engine will start a fire, been there, done that!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't use ether. That's dangerous on a hot motor. Extremely volital and flammable. Also, too much ether can blow your motor or flame back in your face.. I am talking about depressing the pin in the Shraeder valves (look like tire valves) and keep a good size rag around it. There should be one valve on each steel injector rail. You only need to depress the front one to get your answer. Just a quick poke will do. Also, keep some water nearby. Don't get any gas on the hot header.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys couple of things. Fuel rail is wet. Also had to idle awhile tonight after about 15 min idle got real choppy up and down so thinking even more iac valve. It's just 80 bucks so wanna be sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Dear Mr. Befuddled:
I'm thinking 2 possibilities. Could be the fuel pressure regulator (on end of front fuel rail, $20, or IAC, or fuel vaporizing in the fuel rails (Depress one of the Schrade valves quickly looking for liquid -- be sure to wrap a towel around it to catch gas.) IAC costs around $80, but super simple to clean yourself -- check You Tube.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts