The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was driving to work today, I noticed my van was shifting a bit odd.... Then, as I was in the middle of a busy intersection turning left, my van would barely accelerate, and finally reached a max speed of 17 mph. I quickly pulled into a parking lot, and shut off the engine. I tried restarting and trying again, but alas, it would accelerate, very slowly. It acted as if my brakes were on. I called a local transmission guy, and he has seemed honest, and the online reviews were high for him, but I am wanting to try and be somewhat informed before I make a decision on whether or not to fix it. It is a 1998 LXI, with 142,000 miles. At what point do I decide that it is not worth fixing? I do love this van, it's very convenient, decent shape, etc.... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Deciding if it is worth fixing is up to you. Do you have the means to make a car payment, or is the van rust free and good shape and worth rebuilding the trans?

Sadly this does not sound like limp mode, limp mode doesn't hurt acceleration much being in 2nd gear, and you can still go like 50+mph. Might be total trans failure, how is the fluid level in it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the fluid level appeared normal, but it is not clear, in fact, it looked like there might be some chunks in it. I had called the mechanic about a month ago, and he told me that he would not perform a flush because it would definately ruin the transmission then. It hadn't been slipping at all before it just died. Crap...I was really hoping that it would be a lot cheaper. The van is in pretty decent shape, and a car payment is not wanted, but it can be done if needed. Thanks for your insight!

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
AIt is a 1998 LXI, with 142,000 miles. At what point do I decide that it is not worth fixing? I do love this van, it's very convenient, decent shape, etc.... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Honestly, only YOU can make such a determination. I'm looking at a very costly repair in order to make my own 2000 Town & Country driveable again and have had the same thoughts you're going through. While on paper/financially, it may not seem prudent to fix it, my van is worth much more than $$$ to me. I have put so much time and effort into maintaining my van- I've done a load of preventative maintenance on it, if I were to junk it, I'd be losing not only the value of the van, but all the money I've already spent on it. I'm also not ready to have a car payment, nor do I want one. Plus, if I got a new vehicle, whether it be legitimately new, or brand-spankin' used, I'd be starting at the beginning again having to get to know the vehicle. For all these reasons and many more, I have decided to fix my van. Given it's current condition, once this stupid metallic plate is replaced, the van will probably go another 100,000 miles... so I'd be stupid to wreck it now. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Thank goodness you guys have trannys that last 140kmiles and more. My GEN1 tranny is known to last no more than 80kmiles and I've had it rebuilt twice .... If I get to 240kmiles, I'll be rebuilding it still another time. Yes, it can be an unexpected expense, and $2000 is nothing to sneeze at for a lump sum payment, but as Chrysler 1924 says, it's what you think it's worth to YOU, not what it's worth $$$.

I have always suggested (and I'll say it again in hopes ALL that read this will HEED the warning / advice) you set aside even $50 a month when you have paid off the loan, toward the replacement / rebuilding of the tranny on your van. It is a KNOWN limit on these trannys (though the 727 torqueflite tranny was also known to go about 140kmiles, too). Yes, there are some people that are getting 200kmiles and more, but even they will have to replace or repair sooner or later. It's just a question of whether or not you'll be aware you will have to sooner or later do it, and are prepared for it, or NOT ? :ask_wsign

1 - 5 of 5 Posts