The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of the trim pieces that border the "wood" grain on my 1992 Plymouth Voyager are dented, and I would like to find replacement pieces before I put the new vinyl trim on them. Who has a 1991-1995 "woodie" Plymouth that can sell me some pieces?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not sure if this is a match ...

Here are the 3M vinyl automotive wood grains on vehicles.

https://www.customautotrim.com/vinyl-wrap/wood-grain-vinyl-wrap/

3M DI-NOC wrap films are the best in the industry. Not just for architectural applications, this wood grain vinyl wrap gives a whole new look to vehicle interior and exterior applications.

Can't find a wood dash kit for your older vehicle, or find a molded wood dash kit for your newer vehicle? Do you hate the factory trim finish on your dash? Then try wrapping your vehicle interior surfaces with beautiful wood grain vinyl. Peel and stick application, this vinyl will wrap and conform to curved surfaces that regular wood dash veneers cannot cover.

Restoring a classic car? Restoring a woody wagon? We have wood grain vinyl for the Town & Country wagon,

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,311 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please explain, seems like some people don't understand what "trim pieces" are.

For reference:

The basic wood grain vinyl is applied right on the sheet metal. Bordering the "main" vinyl, are trim pieces on the top and bottom, which go along the sides and the rear hatch. There are also "trim" pieces around each wheel well opening.These trim pieces have a lighter color of wood grain, compared to the darker main wood grain. These trim pieces or bars, are held on by screws around the wheel well, and by plastic clips everywhere else. Hope this wordy reply helps.:) I will take some pictures tomorrow or Saturday and post them here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We all like pix.
Apparently I can only post one picture at a time? The size is too big for this website? The attached picture shows the trim piece below the gas cap and also the front of the trim above the LR wheel well, that I would like to find replacements for. I will attach more pictures in another reply

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently I can only post one picture at a time? The size is too big for this website? The attached picture shows the trim piece below the gas cap and also the front of the trim above the LR wheel well, that I would like to find replacements for. I will attach more pictures in another reply
This picture shows the lower trim below the dark wood grain on the sliding door. If I can find a good piece then I won't mess with trying to straighten it. Another picture will follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This picture shows the lower trim below the dark wood grain on the sliding door. If I can find a good piece then I won't mess with trying to straighten it. Another picture will follow.
Here's the third and final picture. I know this is a common problem with many of the paint jobs in the past and some say even recently. Somewhere I read that the car companies decided to prime vehicles ahead of time, but by the time the car was to be painted with the color scheme requested by the customer, the primer had lost some of its tackiness, so the finish coat didn't stick as well as hoped for, which was an invitation for the paint to flake off just like the picture shows. The only cure I know is to do a complete paint job. Any other thoughts out there?

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Here's the third and final picture. I know this is a common problem with many of the paint jobs in the past and some say even recently. Somewhere I read that the car companies decided to prime vehicles ahead of time, but by the time the car was to be painted with the color scheme requested by the customer, the primer had lost some of its tackiness, so the finish coat didn't stick as well as hoped for, which was an invitation for the paint to flake off just like the picture shows. The only cure I know is to do a complete paint job. Any other thoughts out there?
That link I had provided prior, your rear vehicle picture looks like their 3M p/n #DN-WGHICK

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I assume that because you said it is a 'Voyager' that it is not a 'Grand Voyager'. I might still have some pieces off of a 93 Chrysler T & C, but would need to go look. The GRAND Voyager and GRAND Caravan are, as I understand, the same body as the Chrysler T&C, but the other model is a shorter body, so some of the trim pieces would be different. (I stripped & scrapped this vehicle almost 10 years ago now, and have sold some parts over the years, so would need to look before I could say that I have any of these pieces at all.)

·
Registered
410 Posts
oh my. That seems to have been a common trait with the trim molding for a few generations of these minivans. So, it's the lighter grain eh.

See that link above again and look at the 3M DiNoc Wood Grain Vinyl Wrap - Pale Teak then Part :#DN-WGPLTK

It would be a trick to re-cover the molding vs. a body panel. Even with a hair dryer to get the bubbles out in those tracks would be a job. In a production process, a heat plate that is surface offset would overlay the vinyl to the molding. Not sure what a collision shop would do or the tricks they would know.

Yes, looking for donor parts seems ideal, but how many are left and their condition of the moldings? And if you did find a good one, how long would it last due to the age? hmmmm

There is a good deal of molding on the woodie versions. To just strip and paint would be a work as well.

A time perplexing problem here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
Mopar-Mofun
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing