The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine just says needs service. Just like before.
I and many other new Pacifica owners have been through this. The company and the dealers have many "fixes" to this problem. Some of them actually work for a little while - most of the fixes only last for 4 to 6 months. Mine was "fixed" finally after completion of a recall which improved a ground wire on the bottom of the car - that was May 2019. In June it failed again (battery in protection mode) and was fixed by a software update. Guess what? It last worked in September. Today I drove the vehicle on a round trip for about 90 minutes non-stop each direction. All temps up, all systems operating, but the stop/start? HA! As I once posted on this forum, the Chrysler version of this stop/start operation is a joke and only was put on to try to get good marks on the EPA testing. But it does not work, Chrysler will never figure out the real problem therefore will never get a good solution to the problem, it will never work correctly.Sorry you are the owner of one of the many Pacificas that will never work quite right.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I do know some have issues with the system... But it still works fine in ours so not all of them fail quickly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've done a search and can't find a previous thread discussing the same problem I'm having on my 2018 Pacifica.

For the last few months I've noticed the Auto Stop is not working. The van runs just fine, no issues at all, but now it never shuts the engine off when coming to a stop. I've tried resetting to default settings on the screen, have toggled the button that has the "A" with the circle on it several times, and I've even tried driving with the A/C off to see if the A/C load is what is keeping the car from shutting down. It's as if the ESS feature is disabled or something.

Anyone else have the same issue? The only thing I haven't done is disconnect the battery for a few minutes to completely reset the computer or take it to the dealership (still have a while to go before the oil needs replacement)
Just joined this forum and had same problem as you with the Automatic Stop/Start function.
In Nov 2019 purchased used 2018 Pacifica with 32000 miles. The engine S/S function (for saving gas in stop-and-go traffic) failed in January 2020 so I took it to Factory Service before 36,000 mile Warranty ran out to get a check-up and repair the S/S even though I do not like that function in a car that defaults to "active instead of defaulting to inactive due to location I drive in.
Service found the "auxiliary" battery at fault and replaced at no charge and is functioning for now; will see how long the new battery lasts.
The reason I purchased a used Pacifica was because of the "unknown quality" of all the gadgets on new cars and all the recalls - which I think is a rip-off on customers because most customers do not use most of the new gadgets and recalls should never become customary just so vehicles can be sold fast enough. I especially dislike the "subscribed to" gadgets that give me no benefit of owning that vehicle.

I replaced a 2002 T&C Lxi which I put on 265,000 miles from new and had no difficulties other than routine wear-and-tear of mechanical items; rebuilt trans 1 time, tune-up 2 times, A/C compressor 1 time and brakes 3 times. Yes it 'burned' some oil but within tolerance and usability. A very comfortable and long lasting minivan. As far as electrical items: a few light bulbs here and there.
Nothing like newer cars with all the electrical/software gadgets that fail all the time. I am an Engineering Tech and know from experience that electrical and software issues crop up at 'shut-down' or 'start-up' times mostly but mechanical issues are usually gradually noticable during use at wear-out times.
Technology is wonderful except when it is not.
I will add that the 2018 Pacifica is no where near as comfortable as the 2002 T&C; mainly getting in and out of and long distance driving; but what do you do when family decides it is time to 'get-rid of the dino' so they can get another car also. :).

I hope this Pacifica lasts as long as the van.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just joined this forum and had same problem as you with the Automatic Stop/Start function.
In Nov 2019 purchased used 2018 Pacifica with 32000 miles. The engine S/S function (for saving gas in stop-and-go traffic) failed in January 2020 so I took it to Factory Service before 36,000 mile Warranty ran out to get a check-up and repair the S/S even though I do not like that function in a car that defaults to "active instead of defaulting to inactive due to location I drive in.
Service found the "auxiliary" battery at fault and replaced at no charge and is functioning for now; will see how long the new battery lasts.
The reason I purchased a used Pacifica was because of the "unknown quality" of all the gadgets on new cars and all the recalls - which I think is a rip-off on customers because most customers do not use most of the new gadgets and recalls should never become customary just so vehicles can be sold fast enough. I especially dislike the "subscribed to" gadgets that give me no benefit of owning that vehicle.

I replaced a 2002 T&C Lxi which I put on 265,000 miles from new and had no difficulties other than routine wear-and-tear of mechanical items; rebuilt trans 1 time, tune-up 2 times, A/C compressor 1 time and brakes 3 times. Yes it 'burned' some oil but within tolerance and usability. A very comfortable and long lasting minivan. As far as electrical items: a few light bulbs here and there.
Nothing like newer cars with all the electrical/software gadgets that fail all the time. I am an Engineering Tech and know from experience that electrical and software issues crop up at 'shut-down' or 'start-up' times mostly but mechanical issues are usually gradually noticeable during use at wear-out times.
Technology is wonderful except when it is not.
I will add that the 2018 Pacifica is no where near as comfortable as the 2002 T&C; mainly getting in and out of and long distance driving; but what do you do when family decides it is time to 'get-rid of the Dino' so they can get another car also. :).

I hope this Pacifica lasts as long as the van.
This is a follow-up:
I took my 2018 Pacifica in for servicing/inspection to get a 'final' service before the 36,000 mile Warranty ends.
The Stop/Start (S/S) Battery was faulty and was replaced under that Warranty. According to the 'history' on that VIN it was the 1st time the S/S Battery was replaced. Can't really confirm since I purchased the van at 32,000 miles in late 2019.
Haven't been able to get a 'wiring diagram' for confirmation but it seems the S/S Battery is just a 'typical' Lawn Mower Battery with the posts in a particular location and size.
The technician did tell me I should be able to replace that battery myself after Warranty ends.
The OEM S/S Battery is quite expensive for just a small Lawn Mower type battery; probably just like most OEM parts are.
There were other issues I did not find answers for, and the tech didn't have either, and those were:
1. The Parking Brake would release sometimes when changing from Park to Reverse or Drive and sometimes it wouldn't.
2. The Parking Brake 'sometimes' would indicate, by light out, after shifting but the Brake did not release but upon pressing button the Brake would release. Still no definitive answer as to why.
3. The Hood has a 'small bit' of play in it when latched but I am still looking into that for some kind of adjustment I could make to tighten up the Hood when closed.
4. I am also looking for a 'uninstall' capability to completely get rid of the SiriusXm reminders in the van and in my emails because they are pestering me with "this is your final notice" again and again and again. I was taught the 'final' meant no more after that.

All in all the Pacifica is a nice van even though it does not 'fit' or 'sit' as well as the older Town & Country I had, and it has way too many technology trinkets that are just an expense and not needed to have a good vehicle. 'Technology is nice if it is useful and used but otherwise it is just expensive' for the customer and causes less customer allegiance to the brand.
This is what I call the S/S Battery function since most people will not use it or benefit from it and it was, apparently, incorporated to meet gas mileage requirements, or so I was told by Chrysler personnel, and causes customers to replace the extra battery every so often even though not wanted or used.
It seems that in today's market places more emphasis is being used to push technology trinkets just because technology can (seem to) do it even though technology is not necessarily as good or as reliable as an older tried-and-true method.
I have purchased many Chrysler products since 1967 but there is getting to be less reasons to keep it up or recommend it, especially for the expense involved.
I guess it is a good thing for the industry that their products are not like those in large chain and big box stores; satisfaction guaranteed or money cheerfully refunded.

Nuff' said

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2018 Pacifica S. Today my wife was driving to work and came to a stop at a light. The auto start-stop kicked the engine off like it should, but then would not start after she released the brake. She finally got it started but then the warning light came on “circle A” and a message that the system required service. So I dropped what I was doing and drove our van to a dealership. It was the secondary battery that needed replacement. Since this was a $40k plus van, you bet I purchased the extended warranty! And in true Chrysler fashion, this was not covered. They even charged me for the diagnostic labor to find out that this battery was bad!! Has anyone else experienced this repair, and if so, did your warranty cover it? I would love to know if I got screwed!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2018 Pacifica S. Today my wife was driving to work and came to a stop at a light. The auto start-stop kicked the engine off like it should, but then would not start after she released the brake. She finally got it started but then the warning light came on “circle A” and a message that the system required service. So I dropped what I was doing and drove our van to a dealership. It was the secondary battery that needed replacement. Since this was a $40k plus van, you bet I purchased the extended warranty! And in true Chrysler fashion, this was not covered. They even charged me for the diagnostic labor to find out that this battery was bad!! Has anyone else experienced this repair, and if so, did your warranty cover it? I would love to know if I got screwed!!
I had a similar problem one year ago and van was still under warranty. The auxiliary battery also made the normal battery go bad. They fixed the ground that was on recall and both batteries completely covered no charge. However this morning my car popped a check engine light and said auto stop start disabled battery protection mode. Called the dealership and they cant get it in til friday but suspect its once again the auxiliary battery. My care is no longer under warranty except for power train however they said the batteries they installed a year ago should still be under manufacturers warranty. I'm hoping for the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This recall was sent out May 2019. It called for inspection, cleaning, and reattachment of a grounding strap on the bottom of the vehicle - theory being that in addition to other problems it might be part of the issue with the Stop/Start system. In my case, it helped for almost a month, then the issue returned. Then dealer talking with the factory engineers led them to suspect maybe PMC software update would help. Old s/w 68366854AE updated to 68366854AG and system testing repeated. Both batteries tested good again as did all vehicle systemd per the PCM Update Test procedures. It worked then for about 3 months. Reflected "System Not available - battery charging" Tested both batterys with GR8 tester. Both batterys failed. In coordination with MOPAR, dealer replaced both batterys. Installed batteries NPNBBAH6650AA and NPNBBAUA180AA. That was January 2020. It has worked most of the time since then except we don't drive the vehicle enough to keep the batteries charged up fully so time will tell just how soon the smaller battery dies and kills the main battery trying to fix itself.

Attachments

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've done a search and can't find a previous thread discussing the same problem I'm having on my 2018 Pacifica.

For the last few months I've noticed the Auto Stop is not working. The van runs just fine, no issues at all, but now it never shuts the engine off when coming to a stop. I've tried resetting to default settings on the screen, have toggled the button that has the "A" with the circle on it several times, and I've even tried driving with the A/C off to see if the A/C load is what is keeping the car from shutting down. It's as if the ESS feature is disabled or something.

Anyone else have the same issue? The only thing I haven't done is disconnect the battery for a few minutes to completely reset the computer or take it to the dealership (still have a while to go before the oil needs replacement)
We just purchased a 2019 Pacifica and our start/stop doesn't work either. Is there a recall in the near future?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Pacifica and the start/stop quit working about 6 months ago. Message is battery charging. Since it does not generate a service code all they can do under warranty is run the 4 hour battery test. The batteries test fine so they cannot fix the issue. I chatted with Chrysler warranty today and they agreed. No service code and test success nothing they can do. Anyone else had this issue? At least the battery test was no charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Pacifica and the start/stop quit working about 6 months ago. Message is battery charging. Since it does not generate a service code all they can do under warranty is run the 4 hour battery test. The batteries test fine so they cannot fix the issue. I chatted with Chrysler warranty today and they agreed. No service code and test success nothing they can do. Anyone else had this issue? At least the battery test was no charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my second Pacifica with auto stop that does not work. I had a 2018 and now 2021. The dealer told me that the battery was dead and they changed it. It worked for a little while and the same thing, it didn’t work. I have my 2021 not even one year, only 6 months and same thing. The van runs beautifully and I am not bothering with this or I will live at the service center at Chrysler and I won’t do that. Just live without it. It’s no big deal because you really don’t save much gas.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
This is my second Pacifica with auto stop that does not work. I had a 2018 and now 2021. The dealer told me that the battery was dead and they changed it. It worked for a little while and the same thing, it didn’t work. I have my 2021 not even one year, only 6 months and same thing. The van runs beautifully and I am not bothering with this or I will live at the service center at Chrysler and I won’t do that. Just live without it. It’s no big deal because you really don’t save much gas.
Hi MAGICMAN001,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you’re experiencing. If you decide to address this concern with your certified Chrysler dealer again, please feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Rob
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with magic man after additional discussions about the issue with Chrysler. Either you fix it yourself or you just ignore the issue. Since my van is a handicapped conversion I will be passing back to the national company that I purchased it from to ensure they pass that on to their customers. The Pacifica is one of the only minivans that can still have the floor dropped and a lift added and still fit in a standard garage. This is a feature that should not be highlighted since it is not reliable. Surprised that Chrysler has not dropped it since it requires the extra battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with magic man after additional discussions about the issue with Chrysler. Either you fix it yourself or you just ignore the issue. Since my van is a handicapped conversion I will be passing back to the national company that I purchased it from to ensure they pass that on to their customers. The Pacifica is one of the only minivans that can still have the floor dropped and a lift added and still fit in a standard garage. This is a feature that should not be highlighted since it is not reliable. Surprised that Chrysler has not dropped it since it requires the extra battery.
I thought the same thing. My 2019 Pacifica auto stop/start service light came on and I decided that I didn't need to get it fixed (I don't like the feature anyway). This was a mistake. Both batteries died and I needed to get the car towed twice. Prior to this issue I would have probably purchased another one in a year or 2, not anymore.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts